Summer of Code 2009

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Summer of Code 2009
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:19:50 +1300

I suggested earlier that Emacs should get involved in the Summer of Code.  See
http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html for the GNU Project's
involvement last year.  Google have announced Summer of Code 2009 and I presume
GNU will be involved again, although I have not seen this stated yet.  Below is
what I would like to send to address@hidden  This could be just one
suggestion for Emacs, although if there are many others it might need a
separate website, and I think, Google allocates a fixed number of projects to
each organisation.  I have put address@hidden as a contact point, which
seems right to me, but might cause some annoyance.

Stephan/Yidong - as Emacs maintainers are you agreeable to this?  If yes, are
there any changes you would wish me to make to the description?  Each project
require a mentor (estimated effort five hours per week) and I would volunteer
for this project.

Any other ideas?

Emacs
-----

To migrate the GDB graphical interface in Emacs to completely use GDB/MI (GDB's
Machine Interface).  Currently the underlying lisp package, gdb-ui.el, uses a
mixture of annotations and GDB/MI to interact with GDB.  Annotations are being
deprecated and GDB/MI provides a more robust interface, as well as supporting
the new features of GDB.  There is currently a package called gdb-mi available
from the Emacs Lisp Package Archive (http://tromey.com/elpa) that fully uses
GDB/MI but does not have all the features of gdb-ui.el.  It could be used as a
starting point and, if the project is successful, it is anticipated that the
resulting code would replace gdb-ui.el after the release of Emacs 23.1.  See
http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob/ or post to address@hidden for more
information.