Re: frame-environment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: frame-environment
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:59:02 -0500

> As I said, I have not taken the time to look in to this problem in depth
> yet; I've just been working around it.  I just saw the message here and
> wanted to make sure that these considerations were brought to light when
> deciding what to do with this functionality -- when we have multiple
> processes (with multiple environments and differing access to resources)
> functioning as one Emacs, situations can arise where the environment of
> the process a user is using to initiate a command is important.

Yes, we know about that, it was discussed for a while on this
very list.  It was the kind of motivation that brought the frame's
`environment' parameter.  But this functionality has not been fully
implemented and until this happens, I reverted it to the
previous behavior.  The problem being that while it's sometimes
convenient to use the emacsclient's environment, it can be the wrong
thing to do at other times.

So the emacsserver and emacsclient environments really need to be
"merged" somehow, and there might even be a need to change the way this
merge happens on different occasions.

        Stefan