Re: Highlighting parentheses

From: Will Farrington
Subject: Re: Highlighting parentheses
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:57:36 -0500

On Feb 2, 2009, at 2:54 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

http://nschum.de/src/emacs/highlight-parentheses/highlight-parentheses-0.9.1.el

That program seems to implement the feature that was suggested,
so maybe it would be a good thing to add to Emacs.

M-x show-paren-mode is not as fancy, but it highlights parentheses well
enough, IMHO we should have it turned on by default.

Unless I am mistaken, M-x show-paren-mode only highlights the sexp at hand when the mark is after a paren (it highlights the preceding sexp), whereas the highlight-parentheses package above currently shows the user all the various matching parentheses for the s expressions around where the mark is (whether or not it is next to a paren).

I would still support adding this functionality to M-x show-paren-mode though, and enabling it by default.