Re: kill-emacs and returning values

From: Mathias Megyei
Subject: Re: kill-emacs and returning values
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:47:51 +0100

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 21:23 +0100, Mathias Dahl wrote:
> > Does it work for your purpose if you change the last line
> >  to:
> >
> >   (kill-emacs "returnvalue='This is the return value.'")
> >

> >  $ emacs -Q -nw -l ke.el
> >
> > returnvalue='This is the return value.'
> >
> >  $ echo $returnvalue
>
> I tried that already and it would have - if it worked :( Could this
> depend on which shell you use? I am using bash.

Yes, it depends on the shell in question.
The above is for Bash.
It works when Emacs is invoked "by hand" but not if it was
started in  a shell script. It seems the command

  returnvalue='This is the return value.'

is executed after the script has finished (as the next
"keyboard input").

Within the script you can read in the "next keyboard input"
into a variable.

The following script seems to do what you want:

  #!/bin/bash

  /opt/emacs/23.0.60/bin/emacs -Q -nw -l ke.el
  read myval
  echo "myval is set to: '$myval'"

Mathias