Re: view/edit large files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: view/edit large files
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:19:24 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> > Is off_t guaranteed to be 64-bit wide?  If not, we lose the advantage
>> > of the floats, no?
>>
>> If the system isn't capable of handling large files at all, then there's
>> no point in worrying about it, right?
>
> Some systems can handle large files, but only if you use something
> like off64_t.

Sure, but using variant interfaces for large-file support is a much
bigger and more intrusive change.

Oh, BTW, of course there's a range of offsets which are still within
32-bits, and are representable by floats but not by emacs integers.

A separate question is whether emacs should try to use something like
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 by default or not (on linux/solaris/... that causes
64-bit variants of off_t, syscalls, etc, to be used even on 32-bit
systems).

>> No.  The values being represented are integers.  The user almost
>> certainly will not be passing in a non-integral float
>
> I was thinking about 1234.99999 or some such, due to inaccuracies in
> converting textual representation into a float.

This should not happen with integer values (if it does, something is
very wrong).

-Miles

--
Congratulation, n. The civility of envy.