Messages associated to invisible buffers are annoying

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Messages associated to invisible buffers are annoying
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:49:52 +0100

Hi all,

I have a dired buffer open visiting ~/foo/ and I use `auto-revert-mode'
in dired buffers.  Now I'm editing a TeX file ~/foo/bar.tex and whenever
I compile it (creating an update of ~/foo/bar.pdf) the LaTeX/AUCTeX
status message I'm interested in is crowded out by the dired message
which tells me how many lines it omitted after the auto-revert.

So I'd suggest to introduce a `buffer-message' function which acts like
`message' if the corresponding buffer (the dired buffer in my case) is
visible (or selected active) in an (or the current) emacs window.  If
not, then it does nothing, or just logs to *Messages* without using the
echo area if that's possible.

Any thoughts?

Bye,
Tassilo