Re: emacs.exe is > 32M for w32

From: Chetan Pandya
Subject: Re: emacs.exe is > 32M for w32
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:25:03 -0800 (PST)

> Emacs from: http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/
>
> The executable emacs.exe is larger than 32 Mb.
>
> http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl suffers the same
> problem.
>
> Can this be made smaller?  I have seen other people provided a much
> smaller executable (~8.7M). For example:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/emacs-for-windows/

It is possible to strip the executable (using strip.exe). It is generally
better to have the debug information, as it can provide better diagnostics.
Pretest versions are generally meant for people who are willing to help with
bugs so it makes sense to have debugging information.  It increases the
download size, but has no other ill effects.