Re: Pretest next week

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Pretest next week
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:28:21 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> Still, I think Feval calls from read_socket_hook and (emulated) select
> are really bad.  Most developers assume that these functions (and some
> higher-level ones such as detect_input_pending) don't call Feval, and
> they may add some code without noticing that NS breaks such
> assumptions.

Although I am still unsure how often in practice there is a problem
(the tramp menu crash was not reported until now, despite the
situation causing it on the NS end existing for years), I fully agree
that the menu event handling under NS should be fixed.  Given the menu
update model in emacs, the best solution is likely to defer the event
as other ports including Carbon+AppKit have done.  The only thing
stopping me is my lack of time right now, and a hesitation to
implement such a change during pretest.