Re: Printing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 22:44:55 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:15:23 -0400
>
> AFAIK, Windows comes neither with a Postscript viewer/printer nor with
> a PDF viewer/printer.

True.

> This said, maybe ps-print.el could be changed so it can run `gs'
> directly (under Windows); this would mean that the user only needs to
> install Ghostscript without configuring something like redmon and
> creating a special postscript virtual printer.

There's no need for these complications.  Installing Ghostscript on
Windows is very easy, and once installed, it can immediately be used
to print with ps-print to any Windows printer; no need for redmon or
virtual printers.  The instructions to configure Emacs on Windows to
do that are in the Emacs manual.

Again, this thread was not about PostScript printing in general:
setting that up is almost trivially easy (although I personally think
that printouts produced by Ghostscript are ugly).  The problem was
with printing non-ASCII text, and that needs to be solved in ps-print
and ps-mule, not in external applications.