Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:28:31 -0400

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> I can corroborate these observations (subjectively FWIW) with
> different modes such as SLIME and on NS (on OS X).  So I don't think
> it's anything system-related (drivers, X, etc).
>
> Note that if I run tabbar, but just set header-line-format to
> something simpler (without all those faces), then I get a substantial
> speedup.

So, the slowdown may be related to displaying multiple faces?  I have
not experienced anything like this, myself.  If you do M-x
list-faces-display and scroll through that buffer, is there a slowdown?

It's possible that tabbar is doing something with its face computation
that is much more expensive on Emacs 23 than on Emacs 22; I don't have
time to look at its code, however.