Re: Emacs and the Google Summer of Code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs and the Google Summer of Code
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:35:06 -0400

> I'm pleased to say that "Emacs GDB/MI migration" was accepted as a Google
> Summer of Code student project throuh the GNU Project.  So I would like to
> welcome Dmitry Dzhus to this list as the student of that project.  I will be
> acting as his mentor but I am sure that he will be able to get support from
> everyone here too.

Great, congratulations!

> As I stated in January, I would like the resulting code would replace
> gdb-ui.el after the release of Emacs 23.1.  Is there any estimate for
> the release date?

It doesn't matter.

> It would be best to commit changes to the repository, so if the
> release is expected to be after the coding start date of the project
> (May 23) then it would be helpful to cut a new branch where new
> features for Emacs could go.

Put it in a branch.  If it can be put into the "branch for Emacs-23.2",
that might be OK, but it can just as well go into another branch.
Another good option is to put it into a Bzr or Git branch.

> I know that RMS does not like this idea, as he thinks that all focus
> will shift to the new branch, but I'm not sure if that's true and
> there are drawbacks in not having one.  Debian seem to manage with
> both a testing and unstable distribution.

This is a completely different issue.  We're talking about a branch for
a particular feature.  We're not talking about opening "a new trunk".

        Stefan