Re: tooltip-mode shouldn't be enabled in the Linux console by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tooltip-mode shouldn't be enabled in the Linux console by default
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:00:18 -0400

> For Emacs in CVS, tooltip-mode is enabled by default for text-only terminals.

Actually I think it should be enabled by default regardless of anything,
simply because it should indicate "are tooltips popups going to be
shown" but rather "should tooltips popups be shown when possible".

> I think this is wrong because, in the Linux console with gpm, every time the
> mouse moves over a region with a help-echo property, in the mini-buffer, you
> get the error message:

>  Error while displaying tooltip: (error Non-X frame used)

> before the help text appears.

Looks like an error in the tooltip code where it should check
applicability before trying to create a tooltip frame.

        Stefan