RE: read-buffer-completion-ignore-case

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: read-buffer-completion-ignore-case
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:38:19 -0700

> > There is no real use of
> > `read-buffer-completion-ignore-case' in the Emacs Lisp
> > files, and I haven't bothered to download the C source code
> > to check all the places it might be used (besides `read-buffer').
> >
> > Question: How can Emacs-Lisp code know whether completion
> > involves buffer names?
> >
> > Suppose I want to do something depending on the value of
> > `read-buffer-completion-ignore-case', but only when
> > completion is for buffer names - how can I test that?
> > It's relatively easy to test for file-name
> > completion, but how to do that for buffer-name completion?
>
> Do you really need to know explicitly?  Could you instead just test
> `completion-ignore-case', which is let-bound to the value of
> read-buffer-completion-ignore-case inside of read-buffer?

Not sure I follow you. Do you mean compare the values of
`completion-ignore-case' and `read-buffer-completion-ignore-case', and assume
that a buffer name is being read if (and only if) they are different?

For what I have in mind that test wouldn't be sufficient. I really want to know
whether buffer-name completion is happening.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say I "need" this. I don't really need any
particular feature - or Emacs itself, for that matter. ;-)