Re: other serious problems with non-English tutorials

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: other serious problems with non-English tutorials
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:55:24 +0200 (CEST)

>> 1. *All* translations have this wrong because they assume that the
>>    name is `TUTORIAL.XX', where `XX' is a two-letter country code
>>    (or `XX_YY' if language and country names differ).
>
> Yes, I'll revert this change.

Thanks.

>> 2. A language specific tutorial is now loaded into a buffer only;
>>    it is no longer associated with a real file.  This invalidates
>>    big parts of the translated tutorials; from a didactic point of
>>    view it's a bad idea also IMHO.
>
> I don't understand the problem.  The reason we put the tutorial in a
> buffer is so that the reader can edit the buffer freely.

For German, say, the tutorial expects that there exists a real file
called TUTORIAL.de (even if it is a local copy for the user), and the
corresponding buffer is called TUTORIAL.de too.  Currently, we have a
buffer name `TUTORIAL (German)'.

> As far as I know, the tutorial code has not changed significantly
> since Emacs 22, when Lennart introduced tutorial.el.  We did ask the
> translators to update the language-specific tutorials for the Emacs
> 22 release.

Hmm.  I have missed that.  And indeed, the problematic behaviour is
already present in Emacs 22 (and it seems that all other translators
have missed it too).

    Werner