Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 00:48:30 -0600

Miles Bader wrote:
Bob Rogers <address@hidden> writes:
1. Bind find-alternate-file to something different. 2. Add a "[Confirm]" step if nonexistent, as for selecting files or
buffers with confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer set to t.
   3.  Do not bind find-alternate-file to anything at all.

How  about:

  4.  Make find-alternate-file use a yes-or-no-p confirmation prompt if
       the buffer has no associated file.  My guess is that the vast
       majority of uses of find-alternate-file are replacing one file
       buffer with another, and that intentionally replacing "special"
       buffers is very rare.

       If there are specific modes or buffers for which "replacement"
       _is_ commonly used, then there could be a variable to tell
       find-alternate-file not to confirm that buffer (and a user could
       set the global default value of that variable to turn off all
       confirmation)

The specific mode that leaps to mind is Dired.  I often use C-x C-v in
Dired buffers to visit a different directory, just as I do in file
buffers.  So how about:

5. Make find-alternate-file use a yes-or-no-p confirmation prompt if the buffer has an associated process. This would cover *shell* buffers.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA