Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:57:25 +0900

M Jared Finder <address@hidden> writes:
> As a relatively new user of Emacs (about five years), I have *NEVER*
> used find-alternate-file, and after reading its description, the
> keystroke savings seems so minor that I can not imagine ever wanting
> to. Is C-x C-v really so much better than C-x k <RET> C-x C-f?

Yes, it's actually quite useful in some cases, and I find I use it
regularly, typically when I've accidentally visited the wrong file -- it
automatically fills in the minibuffer with the old name, so it's usually
very quick to correct the name and hit RET.

[I bind it a different key tho -- C-x C-r (for "read file")]

-Miles

--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)