Re: message-mode / mail-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: message-mode / mail-mode
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:43:57 +0900

Teemu Likonen <address@hidden> writes:
> Sometimes I need to edit raw mail/mbox files manually. Similar situation
> is composing a mail with a mail user agent like Mutt [1]. In
> message-mode there's command M-q (fill-paragraph) which works
> differently when cursor is in message's header and when it's on
> message's body. There's also C-a which is context sensitive, probably
> there are others.
>
> Context-sensitive commands are good but in message-mode they seem to
> require that the "--text follows this line--" separator line exists.
> This fact pretty much ties message-mode to only Emacs internal mail/news
> applications. If header and body is separated only by an empty line
> (which is the case with raw mail files) then message-mode's
> context-sensitive commands like M-q seem to always operate in "header
> mode". This makes M-q quite useless as it indents the second line of a
> paragraph with a TAB character.

You should set the variable `mail-header-separator' to ""; message-mode
also pays attention to this variable.

[I do this, and it makes filling in both mail-mode and message-mode "do
the right thing" for standard mail files.]

-Miles

--
"... The revolution will be no re-run brothers; The revolution will be live."