Re: Sending attachments

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 13:37:09 -0400

> I object strenuously to the idea of replacing the very simple Mail
> mode with something complex from Gnus.

It's a question of necessary complexity.  You pointed out that it's
ludicrous to have two modes that perform similar functions.  Message
mode is more complex, as it provides more features (e.g. support for
attachments).  Any merger cannot very well remove existing features, so
this additional complexity will not go away.

Another possibility is to refactor message-mode into a simple core,
which can be merged with mail-mode, plus an "xtras" library that can be
loaded on demand.  That would be a much larger job.