Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 06:18:08 -0400

    MH-e, wherein I found that simple MIME is pretty easy but everything
    turns crazy when you hit multipart/mixed and multipart/alternative.

I don't know a lot about Mime.  What does multipart/alternative mean?
I see that in incoming messages that have plain text and HTML,
but handling those messages in Emacs should be basically trivial.
So what is the difficulty?

Likewise for multipart/mixed: I see that in a message I received,
but it looks like handling that message requires nothing special
or difficult.

      Adding a simple `attach file' to mail-mode is probably
    not very hard at all, but the result won't allow you to drop message-
    mode/mml (it's been long enough that I forget which parts are where).

I do not propose to eliminate those programs.
The people who installed them should have proposed the change,
rather than sneaking it in as "part of Gnus".  But that was years ago,
and it would not make sense to remove it now.