Re: set-fontset-font and preferred charset?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: set-fontset-font and preferred charset?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:44:50 +0900

Sorry for the late response on this matter.

In article <address@hidden>, Yoshiaki Kasahara <address@hidden> writes:

> I had just updated my binary to 23.1.50 before sending the original
> message.  I understand I should remove extra settings....

> Still I have a couple of problems, though.  Maybe my configuration is
> a bit strange because I prefer X to Xft, and also I want to use
> 14dot fonts (I'm a k14 lover).

> So my .Xdefaults contains:

> Emacs.Font: -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-130-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
> Emacs.FontBackend: x, xft

> 1. As Mr. Yamamoto pointed out, still some characters are shown as
>    half width in japanese-jisx02*.  Also almost all the characters
>    around 292x-2b7x in japanese-jisx0213* are half width (alphabets
>    with various accents).

This is because of the problem I wrote in the previous mail.

> 2. In "HELLO" file, Cyrillic is half width, but Greek is still double
>    width.

There was a bug in setting a font for Greek in the default
fontset.  I've just fixed it both for EMACS_23_1_RC and the
trunk.

> 3. When I open "HELLO" file, some (not all) Japanese characters in
>    other buffers start to be rendered using xft backend.  When I open
>    another X frame, the font suddenly change to X font (both old and
>    new frames).

There was a silly bug in handling a preferred charset in
fontset_find_font.  I've installed a fix for the trunk.  For
EMACS_23_1_RC branch, I'm now trying to find a smaller
change.

Anyway, could you please check the problems 2 and 3 with the
CVS trunk code?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden