Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 23:55:15 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Fernando <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> First, I would like to know if you agree about the reasons for having
>> a web browser in Emacs (either as part of it or as an external lisp
>> package).
>
> Rendering the modern web is a very complicated task, and I doubt it's
> worthwhile to try to implement this independently in Emacs.
>
> An easier route might be to use Gecko or Webkit to embed webpages in
> Emacs windows, in the spirit of how we use the GTK library to draw the
> tool-bar and scroll-bar.  Emacs might either link directly to
> Gecko/Webkit, or use XEmbed to fit a separate mini-browser process
> inside an Emacs window.
>
> AFAIK, no one is currently working on anything like this.

I would like to point to:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsXembed

I have some screenshots there of my xembed patch for emacs that allows
xembedding for instance a video player(mplayer in the screenshot) in emacs.

I am currently making a small xembeddable wrapper on webkit that I will
make some screenshots with to show Emacs embedding a browser.

My original aproach was to use Firefox for embedding, since theres a
nice integration with Emacs called MozRepl, but the mozembed component
crashed when trying embedding.

I need to make small wrappers around apps because most apps doesnt
support to be xembedded out of the box. Emacs and Mplayer are easily
xembeddable without modification.

--
Joakim Verona