Re: line-move-visual

From: joakim
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:13:24 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:43:37 +0100
>> From: Scot Becker <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>      Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>>
>> Discoverability is key.  This could be done through a customize
>> interface, as Stephen suggests or simply through a piece of startup
>> documentation called "Things you might want to tweak."
>
> We already have a feature that is close to that:
>
>   Options->Customize Emacs->New Options
>
> It asks for an old version, and presents a Customize buffer with all
> options changed or introduced since that version.

It would be nice to have something similar to the "skinnability feature"
some other applications have.

It would make use of Custom, and would allow to group together
Customizable features in a coherent theme.

So, the default for "line visual" would be nil in the "emacs oldtimer"
skin, and t in "emacs newbie" skin. There would also be a "Windoze for
the w*n" skin that would have cua defaults, etc.

Just as the "emacs->new options" feature, the skin feature would keep
track of defaults that are new in this particular emacs for this
particular skin.

It would also keep track of for which options the user has decided to
diverge from the customize options from the default.

The feature could also support trying out different themes. Also purely
cosmetical options like those supported by "color-theme" should be
provided.

--
Joakim Verona