Re: line-move-visual

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:25:02 +0900

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
> There are two problems: (1) the inconsistency you are pointing at
> between C-n/C-p and C-a/C-e (Tassilo also mentioned this) and (2)
> whether `line-move-visual' should default to nil.
>
> Solving (1) would be good, and the two issues are independant.

Please read the previous discussions.

The "C-n/C-p and C-a/C-e inconsistency" of the default settings is intentional.

Having used the current defaults for a fairly long period, and of course
"traditional" emacs for untold eons before that, I've come to the
conclusion that Chong made the right choice.

I get annoyed sometimes too by C-n/C-p's behavior -- but the traditional
behavior annoyed me _more_ often.  I think there is _no_ setting which
will please all people, or even one person all the time, but the current
compromise seems to be pretty decent.

I know some people will feel different "annoyance tradeoffs" than me,
but for those complaining about the change, I at least hope you've given
yourself some time to get used to it -- way too often, people seem to
fire off a flame about some change about 34 seconds after they've
installed the new version implementing it!

-Miles

--
Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.