Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 00:24:14 -0400

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> ! Note that Emacs applies these settings for each file it loads, after
> ! having initialized the file's major mode and run the mode hook.  These
> ! settings can override those made by a user in his .emacs
> ! so you should be careful not to set variables which are a
> ! matter of personal choice.  You should probably not set
> ! @code{c-file-syle} and @code{c-file-offsets} here (@pxref{File
> ! Styles,,,ccmode}).

The manual should say "init file" rather than ".emacs".

But I think we have a basic disagreement here.  A user should feel free
to set directory local variables that override his or her .emacs
settings---exactly like he or she should feel free to write file-local
variables.  The manual has no purpose telling people what to do with
their own files.