Re: auth-source patch for secure logging

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: auth-source patch for secure logging
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:55:23 -0700 (PDT)

> TZ> Attached is a patch to auth-source.el that:
> Of course, the actual patch file is optional on the first message.
> Ted

In fact, the grammar in RFC 2045 explicitly forbids a MIME boundary within
any message whose body contains the words "attached", "attachment", or
"attaching" (in any case) on a line that does not begin with a >, so as to
avoid confusing pre-MIME MTAs that would mistake it for the beginning of a
new, non-textual message in the DECnet style (much like the common problem
of ">From" in mbox files).  Some modern MUAs can be configured to ignore
this restriction since it's so rarely relevant now, but very few users
know about those (non-compliant) features.

So it's really not your fault.

PS - I hear that Google is actively flouting the RFC with their GMail
service by explicitly asking the user if they meant to attach files when
they request to send a compliant message.  Fortunately it's still an
experimental ("Labs") feature, and the IETF has been notified.

PPS - If replying to this message, be sure to use the > quotation style if
you desire to attach any files; the body of this message (and this very
postpostscript) include the words called out in the RFC.