Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:48:20 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> (The thing that irritates me about dir-locals is their syntactic
>> incompatiblity with file-locals.   If I want to promote a file local
>> I've been setting on a bunch of files to directory local, AFAIK I need to
>> rejig the syntax.)
>
> It is possible to blur the difference between formats of file-locals and
> dir-locals with the help of new commands.  The file etc/TODO has the
> following entry:
>
> ** Add a command to make a "Local Variables" section in the current buffer
>   and/or add a variable to the list.
>
> Below is an initial version of two commands that will close this TODO
> entry.

Wouldn't it be easier if any file variables in the .dir-locals file
would count as dir-local?  Then copying them around would be much more
natural.  Obvious disadvantages:

a) if different line prefixes are used in different files, when
combining them, one has to massage them.

b) file-locals for the .dir-locals.el file are not feasible.

--
David Kastrup