Re: message-mode is now default?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: message-mode is now default?
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:44:52 +0900

David Kastrup writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

 > > What it does is require one who wants to use Mail mode in the
 > > customary way to put his cursor at the end of the following sexp and
 > > type C-x C-e:
 > >
 > > (progn ...)

 > What's wrong with
 >
 > M-x customize-variable RET mail-user-agent RET

My way saves a dozen or more keystrokes, and avoids annoying extra
confirmations.  :-)

No big deal.  Either way, newbies get message-mode as the default, and
the *very* experienced mail-mode users get mail-mode.  It would have
been nice to warn them a little more loudly, I guess, but it's more
important that newbies get a default mode that allows them to attach
files and doesn't send 8-bit characters in the headers over the wire.