Re: hexl mode update

From: Vivek Dasmohapatra
Subject: Re: hexl mode update
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 01:44:58 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Now would be a good time to submit it,
Ok. Is there any particular branch/repo/etc you'd like a patch against?

CVS trunk.  Note that I haven't looked at your code yet.  Please send it
to address@hidden

Here it is. The user can select the "word size" hexl will use with defcustom
(it currently screws up if you change this size behind hexl's back, ie after hexlifying a buffer but before unhexlifying it: this could be fixed by saving the word size used in a a local variable in the hexl buffer, let me know if you think this is important enough to add). Other than that, the hexl code doesn't seem to have changed since I last updated the patch
from emacs 22 to emacs 23.

The word-size could also be chosen at invocation time via a prefix arg, but I have not done this yet either: Again, let me know if you think it's
worth adding.

I originally prepared this patch for a friend who was debugging something and needed other word sizes: Upon investigation I discovered that the
hexl binary had support for the word sizes 8, 16, 32 and 64 bits but the
hexl mode code only supported one of those - hence this patch.