Re: Upcoming 23.1 release

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Upcoming 23.1 release
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:43:37 -0400

    With Richard's changes, the auxilliary buffer containing the mbox data
    is auto-saved, but this buffer does *not* contain the text that's being
    edited in the RMAIL buffer.  So nothing's gained in this case.

That is true.  In the specific case where an auto-save happens while
you are in Rmail-Edit mode, it does not save your edits to the current
message.  Until you finish the edit, those changes are not in the
Rmail buffer.

However, with my fix, at least it correctly saves the Rmail file
itself, instead of clobbering it with the current message.  This
applies to any case where the buffer has been changed.

It would be good, some day, to set up autosaving for the view buffer
during Rmail Edit.  But that's not a bug fix, and I don't suggest we
do it now.