RE: Menu commands to M-x history?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Menu commands to M-x history?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:48:42 -0700

> >> I think that is enough too.
> >
> > I agree: `C-h k' or a tooltip is sufficient to show the
> > command associated with a menu item or button.
> >
> > However, it can also be convenient to be able to complete
> > against commands that were previously executed using a menu.
> > You might want to do this some of the time (but probably not
> > by default).
> >
> > FWIW, this feature is available in Icicles in the following way:
>
> So you think it is enough to not have the menu commands available in
> Emacs M-x history variable, but that it is good to have it available
> (in a different way) in your Icicles library?

Just what is unclear about what I wrote?

1. I think C-h k or a tooltip is generally enough for seeing the command
associated with a menu item.

2. Nevertheless, it can also help sometimes to be able to complete against
command names corresponding to menu items.

3. Such completion should probably not be part of the normal (default) command
completion, for reasons already discussed (e.g. by Mathias).

4. It can help to make such completion available on demand during normal command
completion. That is, while completing a normal command name, hit some key to
complete also against menu-item commands already entered.

5. This suggests having a separate, more inclusive command history, which
includes menu-item commands - to be used only on demand, not by default.

6. I explained how Icicles handles this, as an example of what is possible.