RE: set font size with ctrl-mouse wheel?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: set font size with ctrl-mouse wheel?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:25:29 -0700

> >> Firstly, just because Microsoft has something standard in their
> >> applications, it should be added to Emacs?
> >
> > Did someone say that? Does that follow from #1?
>
> You did:

No, I most definitely did not. You guys really need to bone up on English or
logic.

I have _never_ argued that _because_ Microsoft (or Apple or any other producer
of software, commercial or otherwise) does something Emacs should also do the
same thing. Never.

I absolutely reject such an argument, just as I reject the argument that because
they do something Emacs should _not_ do it. Or because they do not do something
Emacs should do it. You might reason that way, but I do not.

You are free to quote what I say back at me, but do not misquote me or lie about
what I say.

> > Yes, C-wheel might not be "standard", but it is pretty
> > common - for MS Windows users, at least (and that's a lot
> > of users). It works in many apps on Windows,
> > from browsers to mail clients to, yes, editors.

That is not an argument that this is good to do _because_ Microsoft does it.
That is a statement that lots of people are currently using it. Not at all the
same thing.

And I specifically said "at least", suggesting that this is only one data point.
I didn't know about others, such as Apple, but I left open the possibility that
they exist.

I hold no brief for Microsoft. I was simply conveying the fact that this is not
an uncommon user interface.

Is your hatred of Microsoft perhaps blinding you to ordinary logic? I'm no
special fan of Microsoft, myself, but I distinguish (a) the company from the
technical aspects of its product user-interfaces, and (b) the company from its
users. And no, I also do not defend all Microsoft user interfaces or all
Microsoft users - far from it.

But I am able to see past the logo, to judge for myself whether some UI aspect
is good or bad. Being blinded (in either direction) by a label is a terrible
handicap, and it gives the label more power than it deserves.