Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: Updating org-mode in Emacs
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:54:24 +0200

On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

Carsten Dominik wrote:

So:  I want to install a massive update to Org-mode, in a few days.

Once again, this has clobbered existing changes made to Org in the
Emacs CVS. For example, my changes to org-rmail. This seems to happen
every time Org gets updated.

I don't have the heart to investigate further exactly what may have
been lost in other files, since the changes appear as a single, 40000
line diff, with a single commmon, massive CVS commit log that just
duplicates the ChangeLog. I'm aware that this is the commit style
recommended by some people, but I find it unreadable with CVS.

What am I supposed to do if I cannot commit to Emacs for a long time
because of feature freeze and pretest, and if in the mean time the
changes accumulate to this amount?  I don't know a different way,
most certainly not using CVS.

Also, what else should I put into the commit message?  A long
time ago it was explained to me that this is *exactly* what should be
in there.

- Carsten