Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:21:46 +0200

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Eli Zaretskii<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:10:41 +0200
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> So you are saying that subgroups are bad because they do not give you
>> enough structure?
>
> I'm saying that subgroups called "advanced" are bad.

You said

  In a good UI, each feature should be put under a group whose name
  gives a hint that the feature could be reasonably looked up in that
  group.  Having group names such as "Advanced" or "More options", that
  have no mnemonic value, is abusing the menus, which are supposed to
  make the job of finding a feature _easier_, not harder.

Maybe the name "Advanced" is bad but we were talking about the
structure of the menus. Making a subgroup named "Advanced" is not bad
IMO since it is a subgroup with a context.

Rather, within that context it may be a very good mnemonic.