Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:51:01 -0700

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> So I do believe js2-mode is maintained.  Also, while it it unusual,
> I think it's a very interesting experiment in how Emacs could evolve
> (similarly to CEDET).

"Evolve"?  Is js2-mode's roll-everything-from-scratch code better than
the existing infrastructure that it ignores (e.g. font-lock)?

I'll have to agree with Stefan.

js2, nxml, they are fundamentally different than traditional emacs modes, in that each have a parser that fully understands the languages at syntax level.

emacs's syntax coloring is based on text pattern matching. It might work faster or more smooth right now, but from technology point of view, its one generation behind.

of the 2 approach, the full parser is also a order more difficult to write.

it'd be nice if emacs provides syntax parsing infrastructure.... nmxl, js2, cedet, can be leads in this direction and see how things work out.

Including expesso-mode is also very good i think, as it provide tried and true solution that just works.

my 2 ¢. :)

  Xah