Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: "Font-lock is limited to text matching" is a myth
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:49:20 +0200

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Miles Bader<address@hidden> wrote:

> [Aside from the "changing text-properties affect buffer-modified status"
> silliness, which I think is probably a mistake, but that's easy enough
> to work around.]

There are needs for it sometimes, but I always forget that it does.
And there is no really easy, standard way to avoid the buffer
modifying.

I have two alternative suggestions:

1) Make a macro available for avoiding it.

2) Add an extra argument to put-text-property DONT-MODIFY-BUFFER and
friends. Or make new versions of them.

Probably 2 will be faster.