Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:31:56 +0200

>  >  > A (radical) alternative is to shrink the Emacs windows as much
>  >  > as possible, then ignore further shrinkage.[1]
>  >
>  > Ignoring `window-min-height' and `window-min-width' when shrinking
>  > frames seems to do most of that job already.
>
> Is that a joke?  If it isn't, I don't see how it applies.

You would first have to tell me what "shrink the Emacs windows as much
as possible" means.

> Yes, but the math and window repositioning to ensure that the echo
> area is always visible is hardly rocket science.

To see the echo area an Emacs frame must be at least four lines tall
(with an enabled menubar) here.  Are four lines your minimum size?

> Then Emacs can act like the Linux OOM and kill windows randomly.  The
> problem is for those of us who do care/those times when you care.

Sorry, this is an issue you have to discuss with Jan.

>  > Leaving the frame configuration in some not very orderly state
>  > doesn't strike me as very clean.
>
> What "disorderly state"?  The *Emacs frame* is in the same orderly
> state it was before, and as soon as you resize the shell to the
> original size, you'll see it that way again -- with no other effort by
> the Emacs user or the developers (assuming the same kind of trick is
> available on Windows and Aqua -- making it work on non-Xt platforms
> could be inordinately difficult, I admit).

This is yet another question on how Emacs interacts with the various WMs
it supports.  Jan can possibly tell you more.

martin