Re: Patch Makefile.in to remove .DS_Store on MacOSX

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Patch Makefile.in to remove .DS_Store on MacOSX
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:12:43 -0400

On Aug 17, 2009, at 20:54, Seiji Zenitani wrote:
I don't think .svn needs to be added.
We use CVS, git or bzr to develop Emacs,
but we don't use subversion.

Who's "we"? I was using subversion for quite a while to manage my local development tree. I just couldn't use it directly from the FSF machines; I had to do my own mirroring. And I did, in fact, keep deletion of .svn subdirectories as one of my local changes as a result.

Any setup where directories are copied wholesale from the source tree to the installation tree is likely to encounter such problems with artifacts from different environments -- .DS_Store files, VCS files or directories, editor backup files, etc. It might be cleaner to copy only the things we want; if not with a complete list of names, then perhaps a list of suffixes, or directory names and suffixes, or some such.

Ken