Re: using libmagic in Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using libmagic in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:21:13 -0400

>> I don't expect it to be too intrusive, so I think it can be done on the
>> trunk, tho of course, each step needs to be planned with care.

> So what is the rule for new features that can be installed on the
> trunk at this time?

The rule is: anything is possible, but ones that aren't simple and safe
need to get confirmation here first.

> I thought only relatively minor and safe ones,
> but this one seems to break that rule, at least in my book.

It looks pretty safe: the first step is to add the Lisp API, which
should not impact any other code (tho it may cause temporary build
failures, I guess).  After that, set-auto-mode (and/or image.el, ...)
will need to be tweaked to also take libmagic into account
when available.  This should also be fairly simple.

> If this one is okay, then why not something like bidirectional
> editing, for example?

I was thinking of bidi for Emacs-24, but if you have code ready for it,
and if it's not too intrusive, I'd be willing to consider it.

> Maybe we should simply decide right here and now that Emacs 23.2 will
> be delivered from the RC branch, and open the trunk for all changes,
> even not-so-safe ones?

Yes, that's pretty much where we're at, I think, yes.

        Stefan