Re: Info about color-values need be revised

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Info about color-values need be revised
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:47:45 +0900

>> In ELISP manual, info about color-values is not true any more with
>> NS port merged. It says return value is (R G B).
>>
>> In NS port, color-values uses function xw-color-values: The return
>> value is (R G B Alpha).

> Ouch! Why is that? Why does a platform-specific function change the
> meaning of a generic function that way? And why should the generic
> function's signature be changed accordingly (breaking existing
> code)?

As I've been saying, the alpha component support in the NS port should
have been removed in the first place.

Does anyone oppose doing that (again) in the trunk?

Also, we can observe that users tend to spread (*) such an eye candy
feature without caring about various compatibility issues or the GNU
policy.  That's why it was important to get rid of such a feature from
the release version.

*:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?Compare=Compare&action=browse&diff=1&id=TransparentEmacs&revision=40&diffrevision=39

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu