Re: using libmagic in Emacs?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: using libmagic in Emacs?
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:27:50 +0200

On Thu, Aug 20 2009, Richard Stallman wrote:

> If we go this route, we should not load gnus/mailcap.el.

(mailcap.el doesn't load anything else, AFAICS.)

> It contains lots of other stuff.

Ironically last year some stuff from dired-aux.el was moved to
mailcap.el and is used in `minibuffer-default-add-shell-commands' from
simple.el.

> So we ought to separate out and preload the right part of it, such
> as the variable `mailcap-mime-data'.

The initial value of `mailcap-mime-data' is a fall-back (for systems
without proper mailcap files).  To make it useful, probably
`mailcap-parse-mailcaps' and related functions are necessary:

$ emacs-23-1 -Q -f ielm -l mailcap
ELISP> (with-temp-buffer
         (insert
          (pp-to-string mailcap-mime-data))