Re: New sync'd branch

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:25:11 +1200

> We'd like to have a new release in the first half of next year with some
> new features.  Given the short time, the new features need to be
> non-intrusive, like new packages.

I'm not sure how stable gdb mode will be by that time. It may require
some changes to gdb itself.  I had anticipated at least a two year
development period (21.1 -> 22.1 six years, 22.1 -> 23.1 two years).

> So I believe we should create a new branch EMACS_23 which will play the
> role currently played by the trunk, so the trunk can now be open to more
> experimental development (bidi, cpp->autoconf conversion, lexbind, ...),
> targetted for Emacs-24.

This seems contrary to earlier belief that branching well before a release
results in all energy being diverted away from the release.

I would also like to see a release from EMACS_23_1_RC where I have included
some improvements to gdb-ui.el.  I realise that this might not happen.  In
any case, I have removed this file from trunk, so I don't want to see these
changes merged back to trunk (if that were possible).