Re: Filename problem in CEDET merge

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Filename problem in CEDET merge
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:44:58 +0300

> From: Leo <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:14:53 +0100
>
> The CEDET package has been in existence for over a decade and probably
> has long names for quite a while and yet no complaint has been made to
> its developers in that time. It seems premature to shorten the file
> names now. And the DOS folks most likely already have their solutions to
> what CEDET is trying to offer.

You can say the same about any other changes we will do as part of
adding CEDET to Emacs.  They all have been part of CEDET for many
years, but we still make those changes.

Emacs has certain standards that each included package needs to adhere
to.  Being 8+3 clean is one of them.

> Short names such as hilit for highlight create language noise. It
> appears to be a proper word but it is not.

There's no problem with having very long file names in Emacs; we
already have quite a lot of them.  Only file names that clash after
8+3 truncation are a problem.