Re: New sync'd branch

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:55:20 +0200

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 15:46, Óscar Fuentes<address@hidden> wrote:

> As someone who tried git on Windows some weeks ago, I can confirm Eli's
> fears.

Did you install the msysgit development environment, or the git exe?

> And would say more: git is the brainchild of Linus, and works according
> to Linus views of the world. For instance, CRLF line endings cause a lot
> of trouble.

A little trouble, yes, though that's better in recent versions.

> git's extraordinay responsiveness disappears on Windows too.

??

git on Windows is surely not as fast as it is on GNU/Linux, but are
you saying that it is slower than bzr (or cvs) for you?

> Then there are those who think that msysgit is a "native" port to
> windows, instead cygwin's "emulation". Well, they ignore what msys is: a
> fork of cygwin.

And that's a problem because...? You don't have to install Cygwin
(which I hate). What does matter how msysgit works internally?

> Finally, git's UI is horrid: complex, barroque, with plenty of
> opportunities for shooting yourself on the feet. Those kernel guys are
> not the right people for designing UIs.

I agree with that, and certainly it's a bit absurd the sheer number of
options most commands have. But you can do serious work with git using
a tiny fraction of that complexity (I do, and I've just used the
simplest of git tutorials).

That said, every DVCS is an acquired taste; I don't think bzr's
command set is that elegant, either (though it is definitely simpler).

> Some day people will recognize
> this and will see today's massive leaning towards git as a mistake
> originated on juvenile reverence towards its original author and on
> simplistic metrics like raw speed, putting aside a critical and objetive
> assessment of its merits compared against the alternatives.

Come that day, perhaps will all be using darcs ;-)

    Juanma