Re: New sync'd branch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:08:28 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'll really apreciate a tool that does not make me waste those 20
>>> minutes.
>>
>> It saves you hours elsewhere.
>
> Compared against the other DVCS's? Not on my experience. git's speed
> advantage is not *that* large.

I did not say "hours in computing time".  Hours in manual labor.

>>> And this is different from other VCSs how?
>>
>> No impact on a central repository even when you tried some complex merge
>> and got it wrong.  Nobody gets to see your damaged foot.  You just
>> messed up your personal sandbox temporarily.
>
> I insist: and this is different from other VCS how?

First, it is different from all central-repository version control systems.

> Does git block you from sending your changes upstream when you messed
> up your personal repo?

Why would you want to send them upstream?

> If you screw up your personal branch, bzr notices it and maliciously
> sends the changes upstream without you asking for it?

If I screw up my personal branch, there won't be a copy upstream that I
can revert to.  That's what "personal branch" is all about.  In git, I
can revert my personal branch to its version of two hours ago without
ever bothering upstream, either read or write.  I can reconstitute _my_
branch.

>>> The typical Emacs developer is not like Torvads.  Emacs has a
>>> development style that is very far from Linux's.  Every example about
>>> how well git works specifically for Torvalds is moot.
>>
>> That sounds like "nobody will ever need a car, because people ride
>> horses quite differently than they would ride a car".
>
> Often, a car is the worst option as a vehicle.

I think we can stop here.

--
David Kastrup