Re: Elusive assertion failure related to completion

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Elusive assertion failure related to completion
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:59:56 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Could you check if it's triggerd by the xassert
>>>
>>>              xassert (NILP (leaf_windows[i]->hchild)
>>>                       && NILP (leaf_windows[i]->vchild));
>
>> No, it's not :-(
>
>> I think the assertion failure is a read herring; it seems like some
>> kind of memory corruption. In fact, sometimes I just get a crash in
>> other unrelated places.
>
> Yes, looking at the code, I can't think of a way this data could be
> anything else than a symbol at that point, so it smells like
> memory corruption.

Concerning "at that point", let me quote from DEBUG:

** When you are trying to analyze failed assertions, it will be
essential to compile Emacs either completely without optimizations or
at least (when using GCC) with the -fno-crossjumping option.  Failure
to do so may make the compiler recycle the same abort call for all
assertions in a given function, rendering the stack backtrace useless
for identifying the specific failed assertion.

--
David Kastrup