Re: Gnus and No Gnus

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Gnus and No Gnus
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:13:24 +0900

> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> Unfortunately `with-no-warnings' is not available in Emacs 21
>> and XEmacs.

> Argh...
> Could you add a compat definition in Gnus? Just an alias to progn
> should be fine.

It will be possible to add a compat definition that replaces
`with-no-warnings' with `progn' when compiling to dgnushack.el
or whatever.  However, it disables people, who use XEmacs or
Emacs 21 to develop Gnus, from loading .el files.  So, it is
better to add it to every file which uses `with-no-warnings'.
Is it ok?

In that case, the definition should be made available only when
compiling (or when loading .el files) because `with-no-warnings'
should never be bound normally in XEmacs and Emacs 21.

(eval-when-compile
  (unless (fboundp 'with-no-warnings)
    (defmacro with-no-warnings (&rest body)
      `(progn ,@body))))

> Otherwise, I'd say it's up to you as to how complicated you are
> willing to make the code just in order to suppress (let's face it,
> harmless) warnings.

Yes, that is for *only* suppressing warnings, in place of
`with-no-warnings'.  Using neither the complicated things nor
`with-no-warnings' makes it simple, if we don't mind warnings
when bootstrapping Emacs.