Re: CEDET branch

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CEDET branch
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:22:42 -0400

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> While playing around with the new branch, a few things popped up:
>
> * I am wondering how the basic CEDET setup should work now, since
>   semantic-load.el is not in the branch. In cedet.el, I read I should
>   use
>
>    (setq semantic-load-turn-useful-things-on t)
>    (require 'cedet)
>
>   However, this does not enable the semanticdb database, which has still
>   to be activated through
>
>    (global-semanticdb-minor-mode 1)  ,
>
>   otherwise not much will work.

Thanks for spotting this.  I'll work on a fix.

I wonder, though, whether the merged version of CEDET should provide a
different method for activating CEDET.  The out-of-tree version requires
you to put something like

    (setq semantic-load-turn-useful-things-on t)
    (require 'cedet)

in your init file, but a package that is included with Emacs should not
have to be loaded this way.  Rather, there should be a command (or set
of commands) that are autoloaded (in the global Emacs loaddefs.el), and
calling the command should load the package.

> * There's a "(require 'semantic-analyze)" in scope.el. It's trivial, but
>   I attached a patch anyway. :-)

Fixed, thanks.

> * I guess most of the search macros in semantic/find.el will need
>   autoloads, most notably the ones under "Top level searches" and
>   probably also the ones under "Deep searches". At the moment, I get an
>   error that `semantic-find-tags-by-class' isn't defined.

The semantic-find-tags-by-class macro should be byte-compiled in-place
by any file that requires it.  Can you provide a recipe?