Re: Emacs inotify support?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs inotify support?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:33:53 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Ideal case : emacs would monitor every file
>>     used by buffers, and notify of changes with the current dialog (continue,
>>     refresh, etc) in visible buffers.
>>
>> To have the capability to watch a file for changes would be useful.
>> To do this by default for all visited files could be more of a pain in
>> the neck than a convenience.
>
> I was thinking such a feature could be used simply to optimize
> `auto-revert-mode' and `global-auto-revert-mode'.
>
> Whether it's worth it, I don't know.  Is the cost of the current
> implementation of global-auto-revert-mode high enough to be a problem,
> or the granularity too coarse?
>
> [I guess it's actually quite system-dependent]

I use the following "executable" for paging output for applications
called from within Emacs, and it _is_ jerkier than really desirable.

#!/bin/sh
TMP=`mktemp -t emacs-pager.XXXXXX`
trap "rm $TMP* 2>/dev/null" 0
echo '-*- mode: view; auto-revert-interval: 1; mode: auto-revert-tail;
view-exit-action: kill-buffer -*-' >"$TMP"
exec 5<&0 <&-
cat "$@" <&5 >>"$TMP" &
eval "${VISUAL:-${EDITOR}}" '"$TMP"'

--