Re: Default for editing XML files

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Default for editing XML files
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:14:47 +0200

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> One easy way is the Customization UI, another is adding menu entries to
> the mode menu.  Designing a general mechanism to select a mode amongst
> multiple implementations would be even better e.g. to switch `perl-mode'
> between `perl-mode' and `cperl-mode', `js-mode' between `js2-mode' and
> `espresso-mode', etc.

As I have mentioned before I have a library majmodpri.el in nXhtml
that sorts major modes according to user given priorities to them.
This is just distributed with nXhtml because I need a mechanism for
this there. If you want to edit a html file you may have a long list
of major and multi major modes to choose from.

Also please consider that if multi major modes are used then it is
perhaps not possible to use the same major modes in chunks as you
normally do for a whole buffer.