Re: cperl-mode and fontlock

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: cperl-mode and fontlock
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:29:45 -0500

  [ALERT - I've attempted cross posting this to devel as
  well -ED address@hidden

Ilya Zakharevich <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2009-09-17, Harry Putnam <address@hidden> wrote:
>> As I enter code... syn-hilite appears to be working just as expected
>> but as time wears on and some of the code scrolls off the screen,
>> Eventually when viewed later syn-hilite has disappeared in all but a
>> few items.
>>
>> Just scrolling code off visible area and back doesn't appear to do it
>> ... I'm not sure exactly what does.
>>
>> If I return to edit some already entered code that has lost its
>> syn-hilite, the hilite returns the instant I make any
>> modification. But then later I see its left again.
>>
>> Calling M-x `font-lock-fontify-buffer' does not seem to re-instate the
>> syntax highlight where it has already gone away either.
>                    ^^^^^
>
> What is this "where"?  Region of buffers, or buffers as a whole?

Sorry, even though english is my first language I speak it with near
illiteracy.

`where' was supposed to mean any spots in the code where font-locking
has already stopped working, are not revivied by M-x
font-lock-fontify-buffer.  That is, I can see some code with no
font-locking visible in current buffer, but it does not get fixed when
font-lock-fontify-buffer is run.

That isn't quite right either, because some of it does get fixed.
Also with the M-x normal-mode seems to re-font-lock something but not
others.   Very confusing and maddening.

If I edit a block where many elements have lost syntax coloring... For
a brief while the syntax coloring is re-established near the cursor
line.

Maybe 2/3 lines in either direction.

Another part to this... not sure if its related is that mic-paren-mode
is now giving false readings at times... I've never noticed that
before.

Any (`) backtick between matching parens (even in comments...) might
cause a false reading it seems

> Just 2 pieces of how I view similar problems:
>
>   a) cperl-mode distributed with RMS Emacs is completely borken.  See
>      "my" versions;

This is the version that came with emacs-23:
(From top of the file)

;;; cperl-mode.el --- Perl code editing commands for Emacs

;; Copyright (C) 1985, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997,
;; 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
;;     Free Software Foundation, Inc.